Friday, July 30, 2010

Andrew Forster - "Accept and Forgive Human Flaws" CDEP (Owls)

Andrew Forster is a tall, handsome, young man who used to play keys in Shock! Horror! – a band that burnt out too quick, but luckily at least 3 of its members continued making cool music (I’m hoping Natasha is onto it soon as well).
After the band’s demise Andrew started recording/releasing a bunch of CDs with his own music recorded, I assume, at home. Before I heard any of those CDs I saw him playing live. Since I’m also relying on technology and looping pedals when I do my solo live stuff I’m always paying extra attention on other people’s use of similar gear, and Andrew was brilliant that night!
What amazed me was his use of samples, many of which came from “world music” field. It turned out his mother has a huge collection of world music records, or something along those lines, and I’m glad Andrew doesn’t seem to shy away from it, but rather he is using it to enrich his already rich music.
“Accept and Forgive Human Flaws” is the release I’m talking about here and while it might have a bit of a pompous title once listening to it assures me it’s not a tongue-in-cheek. It is a very spiritual, in the best possible sense. It’s captivating, mesmerising and it takes me places. And if you think Perth band such as: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ are psychedelic, think again, because this shit is psychedelic!!! I’ve been playing it at work all morning and the cleaning lady came in to ask what it was – she was impressed too. And on such a high compliment I’d like to finish this writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment